My oldest has been on a coconut water kick lately. While its special hydrating capabilities might be debated, I find it refreshing, especially when served on ice. I’ve used it to make a skinny Pina Colada and this recipe seemed worth trying.
- ¼ oz lime juice
- ¼ oz rich simple syrup (1 cup sugar + ½ cup water)
- 4 oz coconut water
- 2 oz white rum
- Lime wedge
- Prepare rich simple syrup on stovetop by combining 1 cup sugar to ½ cup water in a saucepan. Allow to boil, reduce heat to simmer to 8-10 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- Add lime juice, rich simple syrup, coconut water, and rum into a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Shake and strain into a Collins glass with ice.
- Squeeze lime wedge and add to drink.
There’s merit to the acronym, “KISS”…or, Keep It Simple, Stupid. In this case, a simple drink is easier to make on a hot summer day and tastes amazing. What is so special about coconut water, rum, lime juice, and simple syrup? I honestly don’t know. But, this is my go-to summer drink. I recommend using your favorite rum – the original recipe (click HERE) suggests Puerto Rican rum. Whatever rum you choose, this drink will really highlight the flavors in it. The sweetness is toned by the sourness of the lime juice – I think this drink would appeal to a good variety of palates, no matter where they fall on the spectrum of sweetness preference. My only word of caution, as you are gulping this down, is that it has 2 ounces of rum in it…you’ll remember that when you’re on your second or third. Enjoy!